We need your help. The economic fallout of the coronavirus crisis is threatening our ability to keep producing the quality reporting you’ve come to love. If you’re able, please consider making a monthly contribution to the Mercury.
Biden reminding Americans that if we want to gather on July 4, then WEAR YA DAMN MASK, WASH YA DAMN HANDS, AND KEEP YA DAMN DISTANCE. Alex Wong / Getty News
GOOD MORNING, PORTLAND! You’re lickin’ your lips and blowing kisses my way, but that don’t mean I’m gonna give it away. LET’S GO TO PRESS.
IN LOCAL NEWS:
• Mayor Ted Wheeler plans on asking city council to get $1.7 million in emergency funds to immediately re-establish a police patrol similar to the dissolved Gun Violence Prevention Team, which was disbanded in June 2020 after a city audit found the team disproportionately surveilled and targeted Black Portlanders. What’s up with that? Our Alex Zielinski has the low-down.
— Alex Zielinski (@alex_zee) March 12, 2021
• Today Multnomah County moves from “high” to “moderate risk” level which means restaurants, bars, gyms, and other businesses can move to 50 percent capacity. It also means more people are allowed at home gatherings… but please do not go nutz. It’s still vitally important to WEAR YA DAMN MASK, WASH YA DAMN HANDS, AND KEEP YA DAMN DISTANCE.
• In a continuation from a protest earlier in the day against the Line 3 oil pipeline, demonstrators confronted police last night in front of downtown Portland’s Federal Courthouse, which only hours before had its fences removed that were built to protect it from last summer’s massive protests. Officers deployed tear gas, smoke bombs, and other munitions at the demonstrators, and detained at least one.
Protesters assembled in front of the downtown federal courthouse tonight. Old patterns emerge. This is the second push of federal officers clearing the park with flash bangs, less lethal munitions, and gas. pic.twitter.com/78l2w6LtrA
— Suzette Smith (@suzettesmith) March 12, 2021
• Gov. Kate Brown is considering reducing the sentences of prisoners who helped battle dangerous wildfires last year—and as our Blair Stenvick reported, were paid less than $10 per DAY for their service.
It’s the one-year anniversary of COVID swooping in and yanking the rug out from beneath the Mercury. But thanks to YOU we’re still here! Here’s our story and why making a contribution can help everybody! (Plus pics of celebs pointing at each other.) (1/8)https://t.co/IVXgXg3t49
— Portland Mercury 🗞 (@portlandmercury) March 11, 2021
IN NATIONAL NEWS:
• Last night President Busy Bee Biden delivered a pretty stirring speech on the anniversary of the COVID pandemic (and hours after signing the $1.9 trillion COVID relief bill), that contained some ambitious goals: Making every American adult eligible to get a coronavirus vaccine by May 1, doubling the number of mass vaccination centers and pharmacies who supply doses, and then (hopefully!) we’ll all be able to gather safely by July 4.
Analysis: Biden sets July 4 as return to some normal life after pandemic year https://t.co/BbJBUMDApf
— The Washington Post (@washingtonpost) March 12, 2021
• Speaking of the COVID relief bill, many are hailing its passage as something that could permanently alter the social safety net, providing food, housing assistance, and better access to health care for those living in poverty. (That sound you hear is Republicans gnashing their teeth in fury.)
• Also in his speech, Biden (the Anti-Trump) strongly insisted that the hate crimes leveled at Asian Americans—acts flamed by the former president—must stop. Researchers have counted thousands such attacks in the last year alone.
• The House has passed two bills that would significantly strengthen gun safety laws… both of which will probably be squashed by utterly corrupt Republican senators who pay their pool boys with NRA bribes.
• The Justice Department and FBI are beginning to build a solid case against far-right dickhole militia group, the Oath Keepers, for their role in the January 6 domestic terrorist attack on the Capitol.
— Mike Rothschild (@rothschildmd) March 12, 2021
• A judge has okayed a prosecutor’s request to reinstate a third-degree murder charge against Derek Chauvin—the former Minneapolis cop who killed George Floyd by kneeling on his neck for nearly 9 minutes. Chauvin already has a second-degree murder and manslaughter charge against him, but the third charge will give jurors another chance to make sure he receives the punishment he deserves.
• Related: A new AP-NORC poll confirms what we already suspected—people of color have been taking the hardest hit from the virus and economic downturn.
• Gov. Andrew Cuomo continues to sink into a pile of shit of his own making: Not only are police investigating an alleged groping incident, the New York legislature is starting to consider impeachment, and Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Jamaal Bowman have come forward to say that Cuomo can “no longer effectively lead” and are urging him to resign.
• Gun-totin’ Republican Rep. Lauren Boebert claims the reason she packs heat is because of an incident where a man was allegedly beaten to death outside her restaurant. Well surprise, surprise, it turns out her story is mostly bullshit. A lying Republican?? Why, I NEVER!
Dear @RepCawthorn: We don’t want your guns. We just don’t want you to bring them on the House Floor.
I have 2 Air Force marksmanship ribbons. You lied about getting into the Naval Academy. Stop your tough guy act and promoting conflict. We’ve had enough violence in the Capitol. https://t.co/C1d4XGEiYt
— Ted Lieu (@tedlieu) March 11, 2021
• If you cannot get enough of Dan Savage, then get a LIVE dose of his sexual wisdom in this Saturday’s special livestream edition of the SAVAGE LOVECAST! Get your tickets here!
• And now… THE WEATHER REPORT: Another glorious sunny day today with a high of 57!
• And finally, guys… the weekend is allllllmost here. Hang in there.
doing my best in the current circumstances pic.twitter.com/Fcs1ImBTqS
— Neon Genesis Ewangelion (@EwaSR) March 8, 2021