Illinois lawmakers have scheduled hearings for their gun control package bill, falsely titled the “Protect Illinois Communities Act.” House Bill 5855 bans many commonly used firearms Americans choose to defend themselves and their families with. Proponents of the bill, however, fail to explain how disarming law-abiding citizens will keep them safe from criminals who do not obey the law. There will be opportunity for public input at the third hearing. The date of the third hearing has yet to be announced.
HB 5855 –
– Bans the sale and possession of semi-automatic, centerfire, magazine-fed rifles. This includes all AR/AK pattern rifles and pistols. HB 5855, also, includes a provision for the registration of existing rifles.
– Bans magazines that hold more than 10 rounds.
– Bans 18 – 20 years old from obtaining a state Firearm Owners Identification (FOID) card.
– Bans .50 BMG rifles and ammunition.
– Expands the State’s firearm restraining order by increasing it from 6 to 12 months.
– Severely restricts hunting for anyone under 21.
Your NRA-ILA will inform you of the time and location of the meeting once that is set. NRA-ILA continues to fight for your Second Amendment rights in Illinois. Please stay tuned to your inbox and www.nraila.org for updates.